Sunday, August 28, 2011

Han's Carbon argument


So I got into a weird discussion with my friend the other day about carbon and subsequently Han solo.  My friend, who will remain devoid of a name, is chem major and a star wars geek and he decided that it would be fun to link Han solo's carbonite jail with molecular bond co-valence equations.  I lost most of what he said later on in the conversation but I've never seen anyone able to scientifically analyze sci fi like my friend.  Apparently the carbonite jail in star wars would have exploded in reality if it was based on a standard carbon molecular structure.  The base structure would actually create an unstable flux similar to carbonite explosives which (and I'm gonna quote from wiki cause I can't remember the specifics) is  "consisting essentially of nitroglycerin, wood meal, and some nitrate, as that of sodium."  Thus Han Solo would have gone boom the second he was jostled the wrong way or a random laser gun discharge.  I laughed and told him that star wars carbon and our earth carbon are probably different and don't work the same way.  He couldn't disprove this so that was the end of that.  I just find how interesting some people are and the connections they make to random things.  Gotta love perspectives.

14 comments:

  1. i don't care. his face was damn funny

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's great, i love nerds

    +follow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... thats it... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think sometimes we get TOO deep into the small details of the movies and we start to miss the important stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry, but your mate is awesome :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am fairly sure that carbon's atomic structure does not allow it to work any other way than the way it works everywhere in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha its true, but it allows more depth for the movie when we analise the small bits :D

    ReplyDelete